Monday 13 January 2014

CLEVER AND ADDICTIVE

I am so thrilled to have gone to a skill share workshop on Saturday at one of my patchwork groups. It was to make a stained glass iris wallhanging and it is an uusual way of putting the whole thing together. Basically you have a background fabric and then you iron the pieces on with fusible webbing and then iron fusible bias strips around all the pieces. Even the border is fused to the background! I haven't got that far yet but here is a peek of what I did achieve on the day.


There is no need to worry about placing pieces beneath other pieces until you get to the bias strips. Fantastic idea! Can you tell I am excited about finishing this?

Some of you know from a a couple of previous posts long ago that I collect souvenir thimbles from all over the country and overseas. They seem rather hard to come by these days, infact I live in a big tourist area and we don't have them. Shot glasses seem to be more popular! Although I have never had the opportunity to travel overseas I have had some lovely people bring me back thimbles from their travels and I now have quite a collection. Here are 2 new additions from England that a neighbour of my parents gave to me recently. Thankyou so much Margaret.



Sorry, a bit blurry. But you get the idea.

I have now almost finished the items for the  Initial Heart Swap and just need to add some finishing touches and a couple of other little things then I can wrap it all up ready to post on the 1st of February. Here is a little glimpse as I can't show you much because the recipient could be you.




It is actually my own design as I couldn't find what I was looking for.  Remember the crocheted baby blanket for the Womens Refuge? It is finished.





I enjoyed making it so much that I have started another one.



Thankyou Barb for assisting me with verbal instructions for the border via a phone call. I am fairly new to crocheting so Barb has been a bit of a mentor.

Now, back to stitching the label for my Henrietta Whiskers quilt that needs the binding sewn on and then I can show it to you.

Angel Blessings.

6 comments:

  1. The white edging around the blanket just finishes it of nicely Ondrea, I can't wait to see the new one when it's done. Glad to have been able to help you :) Barb.
    P.S. I'll keep a lookout for a Tassie thimble when I'm over there this April for you if you don't already have one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty blanket. The next one is coming along nicely as well. Your iris are going to be gorgeous when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely work there Ondrea. I particularly like the blanket and I will be interested to see the finished piece for your heart swap. I will watch out for thimbles for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stained glass Iris is beautiful!!! [And in 'your' colours as well]. The blanket looks cosy and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Stained glass is going to look fab. The border on the crochet blanket really adds to it. Well done.Look forward to seeing the next one

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first used this stained glass method about 5 years ago - it looks fabulous when finished and is so easy to do. Your blanket looks beautiful - the variegated yarns always look a treat when finished!

    ReplyDelete